Wednesday, March 3, 2010



Life changes every minute of every second. When life starts to change for the good this when the past catches up with the individual. Growing up on the south side of Chicago can have its advantages and its disadvantages. Growing up as a minister's son can have its confusions about religion and life as well.
When I look out my window there is no perfect road, or well-conditioned homes. I see people standing on corners, homelessness; churches on every corner and next to the churches are liquor stores. Every five minutes police ride down the street. This is an advantage because these conditions helped me be the man that I am today. Who is caring, tough, honest, and respectful, At the same time this is what i would like to change about my life. Growing up around these situations gives media, and the world the negative perceptions about African Americans.
When I was young I remember when a guy was walking past my house with a gun in his hand. At that time I looked at my mother and told her, "I will never do anything like that." Even though life has given fastballs my way. I know that everything I've been through has been for a reason.

3 comments:

  1. I am curious. How do you think your life would have been different if you hadn't grown up in a minister's family?
    (I had a minister father also.)

    Etta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ray!

    I just wanted to say that I love your blog! It totally fits everything that you have been talking about in class regarding the social issues that you want to bring attention to. It is all very meaningful and it seems like you have your whole heart behind your word and I think that is awesome! I just wanted to let you know that! See you in class!

    - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Raymond! I like Etta's question. I think Amanda could also address this question. How does a religious family upbringing affect your life choices?
    Upload your midterm video here next. Have you been able to find the Martin Luther King speech without subtitles.
    Try visiting Facets on Fullerton. They have a great collection.

    ReplyDelete